Saturday, January 28, 2012

am i the only one who takes notes on a date?

my OKCupid profile


Last Online:
Online now!
Ethnicity:
White
Height:
5′ 7″ (1.70m).
Body Type:
Fit
Diet:
Mostly anything
Smokes:
No
Drinks:
Not at all
Drugs:
Never
Religion:
Buddhism
Sign:
Scorpio
Education:
Working on college/university
Job:
Student
Income:
$20,000–$30,000
Offspring:
Pets:
Speaks:
English (Fluently), French (Okay), Spanish (Poorly)

My self-summary
I have a strong pull to continually evolve, learn and grow. I like to experience life through all my senses, and like being in the barrel of the wave. I don't sit on the side lines of life anymore, and am finding out who I really am. I am pursuing a bachelors in Psychology, with the intention of earning a PhD. I am a sensitive, creative hippie spliced with a slightly cynical, smarty pants who loves a little adrenaline. I love learning...Im trying to learn spanish.
What I’m doing with my life
I am a full time student, performing a math-a-thon until I transfer to UCSC next fall in Psychology. I am a great student and I like writing. Which is funny because wring this profile is seemingly corny and slightly silly. I am a hairstylist and have been in the industry for 6 years. I live downtown, which is the thing that completes me. I plan on someday buying a house down here, even if I will be 60 when that happens.
I just started training for a half marathon, the route is basically the wharf to wharf, back and forth. I love to run. I love that I can run without feeling like I'm going to die now.

I’m really good at
being myself. i absolutely cannot help it.
cutting and coloring hair
being empathetic
school
laughing at myself
learning

The first things people usually notice about me
tattoos, unless I'm wearing long sleeves. I have been told on occasion I have nice teeth.

The six things I could never do without
ipod
computer
spaghetti
music
downtown santa cruz
bed

On a typical Friday night I am
doing whatever I want AHAHAAAAA!!!!!!

I’m looking for
  • Guys who like girls
  • Ages 27-35
  • Near me
  • Who are single
  • For new friends, long-term dating, short-term dating
You should message me if
1. you can make me laugh.
2. you don't have serious risk assessment issues.
3. you love academia.
4. you have enough self confidence to do so.
5. you are into living in the moment and reality, and are willing to see where those moments take you.
Date#3 is a chemistry PhD candidate at the university.  He likes guinea pigs.  In our first email he asked for clarification regarding my request to contact me only if “you don't have risk assessment issues”. He said that he was a into rock climbing and was wondering if that was too risky for my taste.  I explained that I meant unprotected sex, participating in behaviors that would put your job at risk and not wearing a seatbelt, stuff like that. I want someone who values themselves.  I am more or less describing chronic self destructive behavior.  He mentioned he had tickets to a concert, on Friday and suggested we meet for coffee first. I recommended Verve, the ultra hipster young person coffee shop in town (very Portlandia).  We exchanged phone numbers and talked on the phone the following night.  He asked how long I had been on OKCupid.  I said I had been on one other date (which was true at the time). He asked me how it went.  I said it was fine except I was confronted by the fact that I don’t reject others very easily.  “You mean you have never rejected a guy before?” he exclaimed.  “Well it’s just a little hard for me”,  I explained. With a blind date scenario there is an expectation to asses where you want to take the relationship without a lot of background information. The question of attraction that is just hanging there like one of those sticky a fly strip traps. I at least am up for the challenge, since according to my therapist, I process things at the speed of a Intel Pentium Processor.  He was meeting me after teaching a lab up at school.  We had agreed to meet at 9:30 pm which is very close to my bedtime.  He was a little late but that was excusable because he was coming from class, and I know how difficult it can be to get out the door promptly.  My waiting for him triggered this paranoid voice that whispers,  we wont recognize each other and I’ll be stood up by accident.  I got up to look around around the shop to just make sure he hadn’t missed me.  Just then he walked in the back door. When our eyes met, I looked happy to see him and he looked well..nervous.  His social interactions were abrupt and rough around the edges.  He quickly went to order coffee and I pointed to where I was sitting.  When he came back I tried having a conversation about life and was met with surprising signals of disinterest. I tried to get the conversation going in a direction that would more interesting to him.  It’s a good thing that I spent so much time in the Math Learning Center at Cabrillo College last summer (math summer session hell) otherwise I probably would feel like we had absolutely nothing to talk about at all.  
My impression of people with a deep affinity for the sciences and math, is that they have a very different way of seeing the world. They usually take a more analytic and “zoomed in”  approach to the happenings around them.  We talked about what it feels like to be so deeply focused on solving a problem, that you fee like you might lose your mind.  He explained the concept of entropy, which I found fascinating (probable organization of things and atoms).  At this point I grabbed a pen and starting jotting down some of the things he was telling me.  I wanted to be able to look into some of the topics we were discussing when I got home, and I knew there was no way I would remember them........what? Is that weird? What can I say, my brain is a sponge and I'm not your average bear.  In his opinion, entomologists, people who study bugs, are the weirdest of all the fields of interest. I told him I thought it was philosophy, and he partially agreed.  I noticed a similarity to what I found over the summer (when I was getting to know some of the, what I like to call “math oriented” people). I could tell he looked at me in a slightly distrusting way, knowing I was not cut from the same cloth.  There were moments when I saw glimpses of him letting his guard down. I could see it in his eyes,  they became softer, gentler.  He seemed genuinely surprised that I was interested in anything he was saying.  We talked about color.  About how and why a  color can change tonal value, and be visually cool and then appear warm, within moments, when there is no change in the lighting.  It was getting late and we were both getting very tired.  He was probably going to go back up to the lab to finish his homework.  He asked me if I wanted a ride back to my house and I declined. I will try to avoid that what I will call "car paralyzation" if at all possible.  We continued to talk when he reached his car, and I figured if he wanted to ask me to that concert here was his opportunity.  He didn’t.  I left feeling very good about our interaction I have him to thank, for showing me how to be right sized when it comes to meeting and parting for the first time.   




1 comment: